Vulgord’s Tower Press Kit
Stone Giant Games
(Brian & Gage Magar – Father/Son Duo)
From Yoe, PA
January 1st, 2018
August 10, 2021
Vulgord’s Tower is a fantasy adventure game of whimsy, woe, and wizardry! The mission is simple. Storm the tower to defeat Vulgord (a wizard-turned-dragon by an unrelenting madness and an insatiable urge for power).
Vulgord’s Tower plays like a traditional board game fused with card-based RPG battle mechanics. The goal is to be the first to storm the tower and to defeat Vulgord. To do this, you must survive through all four realms, acquire skills, and amass an army large enough to defeat Vulgord.
Vulgord’s Tower was created by the father and son duo, Brian and Gage Magar. The initial concept and framework were first developed in late 2016 when Gage was eleven years old. This vision was later fully realized and put into production in early 2018. The game is rooted in a classic “swords and sorcery” aesthetic and loosely based around the MILTON BRADLEY board game DARK TOWER. Player’s travel and battle through four realms with the hopes of storming the tower for victory. This is where the similarities with Dark Tower end and something new begins.
Brian grew up in the 1980s in a time and place where Heavy Metal, Fantasy Art/Games, Arcades, and Satanic Panic reigned supreme. Some of his fondest childhood memories are that of playing DARK TOWER with this father. Many brigands and dragons were slain around the kitchen table in those formative years. Vulgord’s Tower not only pays homage to an icon of Brian’s youth but also to the role of astute mentoring.
Brian Magar is a full-time graphic designer and part-time musician. His design career started at a small advertising agency where he produced for a wide array of corporate clientele. In his late twenties, Brian became a sole proprietor working primarily as a new media designer and developer within the world of Heavy Metal. Brian currently plays in the dark ambient/tribal band THE OWLS ANWTS and the fantasy-oriented DEATH/DOOM band CULTIC.
Gage Magar is a full-time tenth-grade student, self-taught C# developer, and game architect. When Gage was six years old he used gift money to purchase a copy of RPG CREATOR VX ACE. This software allowed him to explore many facets of game development. His passion and skills grew over time, eventually progressing to working with C# and the UNITY ENGINE.
Gage is an avid gamer with a fervor for horror, strategy, and sandbox games. In his spare time, he enjoys composing soundtrack-oriented music and reading.
Learn more about their story: https://www.ydr.com/story/news/2021/04/29/steam-game-vulgords-tower-designed-york-county-father-and-son/7236805002/
- Multiplayer (P2P online or hot-seat) – 1-4 players
- Available for Windows and MAC OS
- Purchase the Vulgord’s Tower soundtrack in STEAM
- Card-based battle mechanics
- Tabletop board game simulation
- Turn-based strategy gameplay
- Select your own player character/piece
- Cast spells to sabotage your opponents
- Trigger random events, some good, some bad
- Battle enemies to collect gold, warriors, and keys
- Unlock attacks and purchase upgrades in the bazaar
- Acquire keys to travel through the four realms, and to enter the tower
- Race your opponents to be the first to enter the tower
- Reveal hidden Easter eggs in the outer realms
- Unlock up to 50 STEAM achievements
- More characters, enemies, and events to be added to the game in the future